On Tuesday, the so-called MPEG4 migration in the digital terrestrial network began, something that will be felt by TV viewers around the country.
The biggest change is that SVT1, SVT2, TV3, TV4 and Kanal 5 will stop broadcasting in sd resolution, in other words it will only be hd resolution in the future. In addition to the image quality being significantly higher for the viewers, frequencies that can be used for other purposes are also released.
The change means that some older digital boxes will no longer be able to be used, as support for MPEG4 is required to watch the TV channels. In some parts of southern and western Sweden, support for DVB-T2 is also required to watch all available channels.
This is the timetable for the migration:
- 2021-10-05 Stage 1 – Stockholm, Uppland, Södertälje, Gävle & Norrköping / Valdemarsvik
- 2021-10-19 Stage 2 – Norrland & Västra Dalarna
- 2021-10-21 Stage 3 – Östra Dalarna, Värmland, Närke, Västmanland, Östergötland, Småland, Gotland, Öland & Skövde
- 2021-10-26 Stage 4 – Gothenburg, Trollhättan, Uddevalla, Vänersborg, Bohuslän & Dalsland
- 2021-10-28 Stage 5 – Skåne, Blekinge & Halland
If you want to know more about MPEG4 migration, we refer to Teracom’s website.