Team Xbox is proud to honor the contributions and importance of the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) community. As a second-generation Asian American, I am excited not only to pay tribute to our culture, customs and traditions, but also to honor the creators and players who share our passion for greater Asian representation and inclusion in games. Asians and Pacific Islanders make up a very diverse set of communities, representing a myriad of histories and heritages. We celebrate this month by amplifying the many voices, stories and expressions of Asian and Pacific islanders’ lives that have influenced culture, society and gaming today.
At Xbox, we are committed to creating a safe place where everyone on the planet can experience the joy of gaming, while championing the unique and diverse content created by innovative creators from Asian and Pacific islands who play the positive role of gaming in their lives, as well as the power of respectful representation in games. This also includes broadening the perspective that careers and opportunities in gaming are welcome for all people, and that our industry will benefit so richly from seeing more creators representing players around the world.
Why is a larger API representation important? Nearly half of the 3B+ gamers on the planet are in Asia (source). When it comes to gaming, the Asian and Pacific Islander community is influential and plays an important role as players, creators and spectators. Asian-American households own more video game related products than the entire US population (source)† We strive to celebrate a global community and the many dimensions of the people within it. We strive to see more Asian and Pacific Islander characters in games that tell our authentic stories and represent our vast cultures.
We invite you to join us in this celebration of culture and contributions from the Asian and Pacific islanders. Here are some of the ways Xbox plans to honor this community in May:
Gaming and impact with Microsoft Rewards
Microsoft Rewards members in the United States can earn points with Xbox and donate to organizations that support the Asian and Pacific island community. The organizations below will be on console throughout May:
- Asian Americans Promote Justice | AAJC† Promoting Justice † AAJC works through policy advocacy, community education, and litigation to advance the civil and human rights of Asian Americans and build and promote a fair and just society for all.
- AAPI Equity Alliance: AAPI Equity Alliance (AAPI Equity) is committed to improving the lives of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders through civic engagement, capacity building, and policy advocacy.
- Stop AAPI hate: Stop AAPI Hate promotes justice, justice and power by dismantling systemic racism and building a multiracial movement to end hatred of Asian Americans and the Pacific Islands.
Xbox gamers can earn Microsoft Rewards points in several ways, including by playing or purchasing games after downloading the Microsoft Rewards app on Xbox. Earn points and exchange them for real rewards. Join us today and donate via Xbox†
Xbox Plays Live Streams Celebrates Asian and Pacific Islanders in Game
In honor of Asian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, this May Xbox Plays will be dedicating our live streaming content to this community, featuring Asia and Pacific Islander key players in games, developers, content creators/streamers, and nonprofits. Follow us on our Xbox Twitch channel and don’t miss any of the action!
Xbox Ambassadors Present Asia Pacific Gaming Community
In the Xbox Ambassadors community, we are committed to sharing and amplifying the voices of the community. So in celebration of Asian and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, we asked those who identify as Asian and Pacific Islander in the Xbox Ambassadors community how games with diverse representations have impacted them and to share their stories about joining a gaming community. Here are their stories†
Discover games curated by the Asian and Pacific island communities at Microsoft
Visitors to the Microsoft Store on Xbox or Windows and Xbox Game Pass members can access games selected by the Asian and Pacific Islander communities at Microsoft at any time, representing the vast diversity of East Asian, South Asian, Southeast -Reflecting Asian and Pacific Islander cultures.
look at the Xbox games and Windows games collections of creators, leads, cultures, Asian-American creators and leads, plus games with audio, interface, and subtitles translated into Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
- Life is Strange: True Colors (Rated M and available with Xbox Game Pass) – Alex Chen, the first Asian-American protagonist in this award-winning series, uses her psychic empathy to solve the mystery behind her brother’s death. The story explores the importance of self-care and includes options for the same gender relationship.
- saber (Available with Xbox Game Pass) – Guide Sable through her gliding; a rite of passage that takes her on an unforgettable journey. Written by Meg Jayanth, who is Indian, and music composed by Japanese Breakfast, directed by Korean-American Michelle Zauner.
- how so – Inspired by Vietnamese art and culture, Hoa is a beautiful puzzle platformer with breathtaking hand-painted art, delightful music and a peaceful, relaxed atmosphere.
- Apex Legends Playable characters include Rampart, voiced by British-Indian actress Anjali Bhimani, and Makoa Gibraltar, a symbol of strength for Pacific Islander and LGBTQIA+ communities.
- Elden Ring (estimated M) – A fantasy action role-playing game adventure set in a world created by Hidetaka Miyazaki in collaboration with fantasy writer George RR Martin.
View the collections in Canada, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, the United Kingdom and the United States. Visitors to both the Xbox and Microsoft Store on Windows can find Asian and Pacific Island community picks by searching for “API Heritage” and related terms. Content is subject to country availability.
New gamer imageProfile theme and Avatar items
In collaboration with the Asian and Pacific Islander community on Xbox, we are introducing a new gamer image, profile themes and avatar items! The gamerpic and profile theme will be available on the console and Xbox PC app. Get your avatar items here†
343 Industries celebrates APIHM with new nameplate and emblem
The 343 Industries Team celebrates APIHM with new content in Halo Infinite Lone Wolves: Season Two† During the month of May, all players who log in to Halo Infinite receives an exclusive nameplate and emblem in honor of APIHM.
Learn about everything Xbox is doing to engage our communities on the Xbox Community Hub†